Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 12:58:13 -0600 (CST)
From: Joe H Ward <joeward@tenet.edu>
To: Chris Olsen <olsen@chaos.k12.ames.ia.us>
Cc: APSTAT-L <apstat-l@etc.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: the use of calculators

Chris --

I'm enjoying this discussion!!!
--------
Here come some of my, as usual, wild ideas which probably have been
explored by College Board, ETS and the development group -- and are
likely not feasible at this time!

1. Could the AP-Statistics exam be given such that the "appropriate"
calculating devices would be temporarily furnished at the site? For
example, the application might say to the student, "you will be provided
any one of following calculators (A,B,C,...) at the site". The students
must specify, in advance, which calculator they wish to use. Then the
various manufacturers should be willing to loan their "approved"
calculators for the day of the test. The contents of each calculator
could be "secured" before distribution to the students. And the
manufacturers should be particularly interested if the College Board and
ETS provide information about the performance of students who use various
calculators. The suppliers should be glad to pay the cost of shipping. So
the main additional cost would be "loading" the various calculators with
the APPROVED CONTENT.

2. Ditto for for future use of Digital Computers and Software. This may be
tougher. While it might be unreasonable to ask computer hardware
suppliers to provide desk-top computers, it might be feasible to install
various software packages on desk-top computers at local schools or
colleges where the exam is administered.

3. As hand-held computer costs decrease, then it might be possible to
supply computers for the use of students during the exam.

The problem of "what students bring embedded in their OWN COMPUTING
DEVICES" might be solved by asking the suppliers to loan their
calculators, computers and software for the exam day.

And, repeating from above, the manufacturers should be particularly
interested if the College Board and ETS provide information about the
performance of students who use various calculators. They have a
conveient marketing research tool!

-- Joe

* Joe Ward 167 East Arrowhead Dr. *
* Health Careers High School San Antonio, TX 78228-2402 *
* Phone: 210-433-6575 *
* joeward@tenet.edu *