Subject: Re: Type I/II errors
Author: Chris Olsen <olsen@chaos.k12.ames.ia.us> at EDU-INTERNET
Date: 2/4/97 8:39 PM

Bill --

> I was paging through the Acorn book this afternoon, and discovered that there
> is nothing said about Type I and Type II errors, and their corresponding
> probabilities. Does anyone know if I'm correct to assume that these will not
> be tested on the exam?

Let me offer a couple observations on the Type I/II question. First, I
think the thrust of the AP Stat is very much a "p-value" orientation rather
than a fixed-level testing orientation. Thus, I would not expect to see
the terms Type I and Type II error on the exam. However, the general logic
of hypothesis testing is there, and I would certainly want my students to
know that decision-making under uncertainty does entail a risk of error.
Secondly, my students will go on to college and read articles from the
past, in which these terms are used. Thus, I think a consideration of
these ideas and terms is necessary irrespective of the AP exam.

-- Chris Olsen