Topic: Re: Who Takes AP Stats?
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Daren Starnes

Re: Who Takes AP Stats?

For our students, there were a couple of major reasons for selecting AP
Statistics:

(1) Because they believed that they were not quite ready for our AB Calculus
course, but wanted to take a course that might get them college
credit/useful experience for college.

(2) For a natural fit with the AP Environmental Science course that we are
piloting this year. This has turned out to be a magnificient tandem,
replete with opportunities for experiential learning, collection of REAL
data, and even production of a video and a home page. When the home page is
"polished" by one of the students, I'll post the address.

(3) Because we (the mathematics department, college counselors, and
administration) advertised this course as the appropriate choice for our
"average to above average precalculus students who had the AP work ethic).

We have ended up with 34 in AP Statistics, 25 in AB Calculus, and 12 in BC
Calculus.
Next year, we anticipate growth in the AP Statistics number.