Topic: Postings to the list
Replies: 1   Last Post: May 21, 2009 6:16 AM

Rickey, F. PROF MATH

Postings to the list

Colleagues,

Alexander Soifer is about to get his way; the dialog between Milo Gardner and Franz Gnaedinger is about to be truncated as I am going on holiday and will not be available to OK the posting of their messages (I will post the remaining messages in my in-box before I leave). Neither are members of this list, but always post via MATHFORUM.org.

When messages come from non-list members, they come to me as "owner" of the list for approval. I look at them and verify that they deal with the history of mathematics (and I take a very lax view on this). If they do (and many do not) then I post them. I do not verify that the comments are correct or of wide interest, for the list can, and always has, police this. I do delete messages that are in bad taste.

Frankly, I think it would be of much greater interest to all if Milo and Franz would communicate between themselves and come to a conclusion on a point and then post that conclusion and the argument for it. If they can't agree, then a synopsis of why they disagree could be posted. Individuals who want to see all the details could then ask Milo and Franz for them privately (I do not know the email address of either of them).

I am looking forward to a lovely holiday driving to the CSHPM meeting in St. John's.

V. Frederick Rickey
Professor of Mathematics
United States Military Academy
West Point, NY 10996 USA