Topic: Re: Question #28 on Geometry Exam
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Loretta Boyce

Re: Question #28 on Geometry Exam

I've always taught my students that when taking a multiple choice exam you choose the best available answer. I didn't read as much into this question as most of you did. I used the amsco workbook this year as a text and most of their questions about planes were worded this way. My students did well with this one, right, wrong or indifferent.

Loretta

Mathematics Teacher
Dana L. West Jr-Sr High School
30 Maple Ave
Port Byron, NY 13140

(315)776-5728 ext 1258
>>> PJ Manzo <pmanzo317@gmail.com> 06/17/09 2:18 PM >>>
I'm kinda with you on that one. I thought the same thing to myself
after reading the question. There is no intersection of the three
planes; two parrallel planes will never intersect. The wording was way
off, and confusing to a lot of students, I'm sure. If i had not been a
multiple choice question, I doubt many would be able to pull it off.

PJ Manzo

On 6/17/09, Kirk Weiler <kweiler@acsdny.org> wrote:
> It seems like the correct answer to this question is the empty set. If I asked about the intersection of three curves and there was no common intersection, we would all probably agree that the intersection was the empty set. Why not with three-dimensional objects? The fact is that when we talk about the intersection of algebraically defined surfaces, then we imply that we are looking for all points that simulataneously satisfy all conditions. For this question there are no ordered triples that are common to all three planes.
>
> This is not an easy question to word in the first place, but we strongly believe that as worded, the correct answer is not there. Some of our honors kids, especially our 7th and 8th graders (the extremely accelerated) were confused.
>
> Thoughts?
> *
*
*