Topic: plotyy tick marks on both y axes?
Replies: 6   Last Post: Jul 16, 2014 9:20 AM

dpb

Re: plotyy tick marks on both y axes?

On 07/15/2014 11:20 PM, Anderson wrote:
> dpb <none@non.net> wrote in message
> <h3fnsb$h3$1@news.eternal-september.org>...

>> Nicky wrote:
>> > I am using the plotyy command to show two different sets of data with
>> > different scales on the same graph, but after I try to set the y
>> > limits for each the tick marks for the left axis appear on both the
>> > left and right y axes. obviously this isn't ideal and only want the
>> > tick marks for each scale on the corresponding axis.

>> That's an artifact of the axes object; afaik there's no way to change
>> that behavior--note the x-axis ticks are at top and bottom as well.
>>
>> Best plan is to select the ranges and divisions to have the same
>> _NUMBER_ of divisions on each axis, then the two sets overlap and you
>> obtain the desired effect.
>>
>> I don't have a problem here w/ visibility; don't ken that...

Never saw the previous; don't quite follow who said it nor what it
means, precisely.

> Actually you can stop the lefthand tick marks from appearing on the
> right - just type "box off".

The problem w/ that solution is that it then doesn't have the enclosing
box line across the top x-axis which looks funky imo. Whichever box is
'on' leaves it's tick artifacts from the primary on the secondary which
is fine as long as there aren't two competing scales.

If turn box 'off' for both, then have to draw the bounding line
individually. I still think the facility to turn them off on the
individual axes under user control is a desirable enhancement.