Topic: Re: Are some cultures more gifted in math than others?
Replies: 8   Last Post: Aug 2, 2009 12:04 PM

Robert Megginson

Re: Are some cultures more gifted in math than others?

Good points, Jonathan. The difficulty with discussions in this area is
that the terms used are often ill-defined and taken to mean different
things by the people engaged in the discussions, and the resulting
conclusions some people take away from them can be unjustified and at
times even destructive when ill-advised attempts are made to apply those
conclusions.

Case in point: American Indians. I happen to be one, and like other
American Indians who are involved in mathematics and the sciences am
deeply concerned about the low participation of American Indians in
mathematics-based fields. That is not a matter open to dispute: The
numbers show it. The low performance of American Indians as a group on
standardized mathematics tests is also not open to dispute: The data is
there. I don't happen to have the most recent data at hand, but when I did
a study of this for the Mathematical Association of America some years
ago, there were some American Indian groups who were performing at
percentile levels in the teens on standardized mathematics tests compared
to U.S. averages.

What has been openly disputed is the reason for this, and the language
used in the dispute is often the same as is used in the blog referenced in
the original posting here, with terms such as "culture" appearing for
which some people will read "race" although they are two entirely
different things, and understanding the difference gets one directly into
the long-running controversy about genetics versus environment as
influencing factors in academic performance. Jonathan's post certainly
gets at some of this. It is also important to recognize that "innate" and
"gifted" are equally murky terms unless carefully defined, although they
are often used as though it is crystal clear what they mean.

Back in the 1980s there was a controversy, flaring in the pages of the
Journal of American Indian Education (JAIE)and elsewhere, about "innate"
factors that might be barriers to the full participation of American
Indians in mathematics-based fields. The controversy was related to
hemispheric dominance theories, although the people engaged in it were
often not clear at all about whether they were assuming that the
underlying factors came about from environment or genetics. (Other than,
for example, the skull measurers; we had a round of them, and they
certainly were thinking of genetics.) The upshot, as was pointed out in
articles in JAIE in the late 1980s, is that much of the research in this
area turned out not to be replicable or was otherwise flawed. However,
this did not prevent some folks from counseling American Indians away from
mathematics-based fields using the argument that the students were somehow
doomed to fail in such fields and would fare much better in other areas.

And therein lies the danger. One cannot ignore solid, replicable
scientific evidence if it is there, but one has to be exceptionally
careful in this area to define all terms carefully to make sure everyone
agrees on what is being talked about, and to interpret the evidence
cautiously, or one can easily end up making the kind of headlines James
Watson did when he unwisely waded right into these very waters. In his
unsuccessful attempt to back out of the mess he created for himself, he
did make one statement with which I basically agree: "We as scientists,
wherever we wish to place ourselves in this great debate, should take care
in claiming what are unarguable truths without the support of evidence."
Amen.

Bob Megginson
--
Robert E. Megginson
Arthur F. Thurnau Professor of Mathematics

"In the eyes of the mountain, all people are equal." -John Denver