Topic: Geometric Problem??
Replies: 3   Last Post: Jan 13, 2000 8:41 AM

Pat Ballew

RE: Geometric Problem??

Elissa,
I see you have found an answer to your problem so I will only add and
afterword.. Some years ago (95? maybe) I investigated the expected length in
comparison to the actual length of world series contests. I submitted to the
Reader REflections of the Mathematics Teacher, a spreadsheet solution to this
question which included the additional option of a "home field advantage". You
might want to use this as a followup questions to students who found the
original question interesting...
Given that the two teams are even, but the home team has a prob of p of
winning, what is the expected length of a world series. To simplify the problem
give a specific prob, say .55 or .6 for the home team...

Pat Ballew,
Misawa, Jp

"Statistics means never having to say you're certain."

Math Words & Other Words
http://www.geocities.com/paris/rue/1861/etyindex.html

The Mathboy's page http://www.geocities.com/paris/rue/1861