Topic: New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem
Replies: 123   Last Post: Oct 1, 2009 11:56 PM

Scott

Re: New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem

On Sep 30, 5:23 pm, stevendaryl3...@yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough)
wrote:
> Scott H says...
>

> >1. Every statement has a Goedel number.
> >2. If a statement is 'about' a number, then its Goedel number is also
> >'about' that number.

> That doesn't make any sense. What is the number 4 about?

4 isn't the Goedel number of a statement that is about anything.

> >3. Some statements are about Goedel numbers.
> >4. Therefore, there are Goedel numbers that are about Goedel numbers.

> I don't think it makes any sense to say that a Godel number is "about"
> anything. In any case, I don't see where you are getting an infinite
> sequence of G, G', G'', etc.

I say that a Goedel number is about something when its statement is
about something. The infinite sequence arises when the substitution or
'arithmoquine' function is applied repeatedly.

> G could be said to be "about" its Godel number, since it says
> that its Godel number is not the Godel number of a provable sentence.
> But then G' is the Godel number of G, so G' is "about" whatever G is
> about. So there is no G'', G''', etc.

I'll be more accurate: G' is about G'', the Goedel number of G', which
G is about. As I told Aatu, I'll leave it open whether G, G', G'', ...
are all basically the same statement.

Date Subject Author
9/21/09
Read New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem
Bill97
9/21/09
Read Re: New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem
george
9/21/09
Read Re: New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem
Frederick Williams
9/21/09
Read Re: New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem
Aatu Koskensilta
9/21/09
Read Re: New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem
LauLuna
9/21/09
Read Re: New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem
Scott
9/24/09
Read Re: New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem
Frederick Williams
9/24/09
Read Re: New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem
Scott
9/21/09
Read Re: New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem
Scott
9/22/09
Read Re: New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem
Daryl McCullough
9/21/09
Read Re: New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem
Newberry
9/22/09
Read Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem Found to be Complete
Guest
9/22/09
Read Re: New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem
Newberry
9/22/09
Read Re: New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem
Scott
9/22/09
Read Re: New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem
Scott
9/22/09
Read Re: New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem
Newberry
9/22/09
Read Re: New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem
Scott
9/22/09
Read Re: New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem
Newberry
9/22/09
Read Re: New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem
namducnguyen
9/22/09
Read Re: New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem
Scott
9/22/09
Read Re: New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem
namducnguyen
9/23/09
Read Re: New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem
Daryl McCullough
9/24/09
Read Re: New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem
LauLuna
9/24/09
Read Re: New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem
Newberry
9/25/09
[...]
9/27/09
Read Re: New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem
Newberry
9/26/09
Read Re: New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem
Scott
9/26/09
Read Re: New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem
David C. Ullrich
9/26/09
Read Re: New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem
Scott
9/26/09
Read Re: New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem
Frederick Williams
9/26/09
Read Re: New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem
Scott
9/27/09
Read Re: New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem
Frederick Williams
9/26/09
Read Re: New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem
namducnguyen
9/26/09
Read Re: New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem
namducnguyen
9/26/09
Read Re: New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem
Marshall
9/26/09
[...]
9/28/09
Read Re: New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem
Daryl McCullough
9/28/09
Read Re: New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem
David C. Ullrich
9/29/09
[...]
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
9/29/09
Read Re: New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem
Marshall
9/29/09
Read Re: New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem
Aatu Koskensilta
9/29/09
Read Re: New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem
Marshall
9/30/09
Read Re: New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem
Frederick Williams
9/30/09
Read Re: New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem
Marshall
9/30/09
Read Re: New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem
Marshall
10/1/09
Read Re: New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem
Marshall
9/30/09
Read Re: New essay on Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem
bogus address
9/30/09
[...]
Tim Little
10/1/09
[...]
[...]