Topic: Labels
Replies: 15   Last Post: Oct 22, 2009 12:07 AM

Anne Watson

Re: Human decency

To all

Human decency acted in the form of my junkmail filter, which had assigned the offensive message to my junk, so I had not seen it.

Had I seen it I might have replied in some form, but I am afraid that remarks like that tend to keep me quiet as they remind me of school, and I am no longer a teacher.

I taught in school for many years, and the issues Tony raises were constant issues for me and have been so since. We don't solve these arguments by pretending that mathematics is less demanding than it is, or by dumbing down the standards of mathematical rigour to which learners need to aspire, nor by squabbling about whether teachers CAN help students to reach these or not. The bald truth in UK is that by and large they DON'T do this, whether they can or not, because of the system which has been designed for political and marketplace purposes and not for educational purposes. The rescue task is huge because meanwhile a whole generation of maths graduates have arrived as teachers who have no personal experience of geometrical thinking. So they do not have the background experience to make choices about, for example, whether to label, how and when to label, why to label etc. There are even some who confuse letter labels on diagrams with codes, or with algebraic uses. In addition it is not surprising that they may believe their students to be unable to reason appropriately. I have not had time to read everyone's messages, particularly those in the junkmail, but this last observation is why I am tough about ensuring there is a need to label - i.e. offering confusion that has to be sorted out.

Anne