Topic: Hand geometry recognition
Replies: 8   Last Post: Feb 13, 2014 11:15 AM

Chua Ivue

Re: Hand geometry recognition

"Tudor " <pad_tc@yahoo.com> wrote in message <ifuhjf$ao2$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> "Chua Ivue" <smallgal_86@hotmail.com> wrote in message <hf4q8p$3oq$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> > I am doing hand geometry recognition for my final year project. I thought of using either wavelet based segmentation or radial distance function to obtain features like fingertips and valley before i can proceed to measure finger length. Yet i dont know the approach using matlab. Anyone could help me for this? Anyone done this project before?
> > Your help is very much appreciated!

> Did you manage to finish the project? I have the same project for my graduation, and I was wondering if you could help me a bit.
>
> Thank you!

Hi Tudor,
I managed to finished this project on time and passed with flying colors. But i myself knew that the method i used isn't a perfect way to find the features i need for the matching process.

Anyway, just to share with you the approaches i used in brief.
Firstly,get the contour of hand shape.Then used the trace to find the location of 5 finger tips and 4 valleys between the fingers and 3 other extra points by using Chain Code. With simple mathematics calculation, i able to find the length of fingers. With these data, i fed them in neural network to train the network for matching purpose. As you can see,due to times constraint, i only use LENGTH of fingers for matching stage which is actually not enough for recognition and it is an OFFLINE process.Proper assumptions and scope of projects should be set as this can help u to 'play safe' in the final presentation and thesis as well.

Really hope i can help you as i ever experienced the moment when nobody can guide me on this topic. You can email me with this address "smallgal_86@hotmail.com" anytime!

Good Luck to you.