Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Ruth Carver

[ap-stat] Re: Software simulations for hypothesis testing

At 8:40 PM -0500 03.15.2001, ch_shafer wrote:
>In the classroom I like to draw two overlapping distributions for the Ho and
>Ha distributions, identify the critical statistic value, and then shade the
>appropriate area under the curves to visualize alpha, beta, or power.
>I would like to find some software that will allow me to input data and the
>necessary parameters to run appropriate hypothesis tests with t or z curves
>and then visualize these three parameters. Furthermore, I would like the
>students to be able to "drag" or input alternate values for alpha, Ha, and
>sample size and see the effect graphically on these values.
>Am I dreaming in expecting to be able to find such a tool?
>It seems that Minitab or Fathom might be able to do this, but I am new to
>these programs and doubt I could flip the right switches on my own.

Mark and others,

I have attached a fathom document (typeII.ftm) that I hope
accomplishes what you are looking for. Drag on the text box in the
upper-right hand corner to read the explanation. You will need to be
running version 1.1 to see the vertical lines. I'm not one of the
gurus (I'm only a 2nd year AP Stats teacher myself), so I'd
appreciate any suggestions for improving this demo.

Ruth Carver

Ruth E. Carver
Germantown Academy
P.O. Box 287
Fort Washington, PA 19034

You are currently subscribed to ap-stat as: archive@forum.swarthmore.edu.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ) Site is at
AP Statistics Archives are at http://forum.swarthmore.edu/epigone/apstat-l