Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Ruth Carver

[ap-stat] Re: Software simulations for hypothesis testing

At 8:40 PM -0500 03.15.2001, ch_shafer wrote:
>In the classroom I like to draw two overlapping distributions for the Ho and
>Ha distributions, identify the critical statistic value, and then shade the
>appropriate area under the curves to visualize alpha, beta, or power.
>
>I would like to find some software that will allow me to input data and the
>necessary parameters to run appropriate hypothesis tests with t or z curves
>and then visualize these three parameters. Furthermore, I would like the
>students to be able to "drag" or input alternate values for alpha, Ha, and
>sample size and see the effect graphically on these values.
>
>Am I dreaming in expecting to be able to find such a tool?
>
>It seems that Minitab or Fathom might be able to do this, but I am new to
>these programs and doubt I could flip the right switches on my own.

Mark and others,

I have attached a fathom document (typeII.ftm) that I hope
accomplishes what you are looking for. Drag on the text box in the
upper-right hand corner to read the explanation. You will need to be
running version 1.1 to see the vertical lines. I'm not one of the
gurus (I'm only a 2nd year AP Stats teacher myself), so I'd
appreciate any suggestions for improving this demo.

Ruth Carver

Ruth E. Carver
Germantown Academy
P.O. Box 287