Topic: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Replies: 164   Last Post: Mar 12, 2010 2:43 AM

garabik-news-2005-05@kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk

Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science

In sci.lang Peter T. Daniels <grammatim@verizon.net> wrote:
> On Dec 26, 12:57 pm, garabik-news-2005...@kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk
> wrote:

>> In sci.lang Peter T. Daniels <gramma...@verizon.net> wrote:
>>

>> > Didn't you learn in science that definition by enumeration is
>> > unacceptable?

>> On the contrary, in mathematics, definition by enumerating axioms
>> is THE acceptable way (granted, you probably did not mean _this_)...

> I meant listing all the examples you know of, and not mentioning
> anything similar that might, but doesn't, fit the pattern.

I know. It depends on to what extent you consider terminology to make part
of a science discipline. E.g., let me see... in geography, you might define
Earth continents by, well, enumerating them.

Until rather recently, Solar system planets were defined by enumerating them
(with a note saying that Pluto "does not fit the pattern" and that some
other objects do, but they are not called planets). Of course, it did
not do a bit of difference for real astronomy - they just studied celestial
objects, names do not change the outcome!

> I restored aue because there are a couple of postings in the thread
> from an aue'er.

Blame aioe - they won't let me to post followups to more than 3 groups.

| Radovan Garabík http://kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk/~garabik/ |
| __..--^^^--..__ garabik @ kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk |

Date Subject Author
12/24/09
Read Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Andrew Usher
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
chazwin
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Don Phillipson
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Jim Deutch
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
António Marques
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jjs
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Hecman Gun
nuny@bid.ness
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Don Phillipson
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Uncle Al
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
bert
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
James Hogg
12/24/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/25/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
ostap_bender_1900@hotmail.com
12/25/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
12/25/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Joachim Pense
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Ioannis
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Ioannis
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
garabik-news-2005-05@kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
garabik-news-2005-05@kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter Moylan
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
garabik-news-2005-05@kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Ruud Harmsen
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
DKleinecke
1/13/10
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Richard Herring
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
PaulJK
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
garabik-news-2005-05@kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
garabik-news-2005-05@kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
PaulJK
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Yusuf B Gursey
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Yusuf B Gursey
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Joachim Pense
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Greg Neill
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Yusuf B Gursey
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Yusuf B Gursey
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Yusuf B Gursey
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
António Marques
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
DKleinecke
3/11/10
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Adam Funk
3/11/10
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
3/11/10
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Adam Funk
3/12/10
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Yusuf B Gursey
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
12/31/09
[...]
mahipal7638@gmail.com
12/25/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Joachim Pense
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
PaulJK
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Joachim Pense
1/2/10
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
mahipal7638@gmail.com
12/25/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Yusuf B Gursey
12/25/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Dumbledore_
12/25/09
[...]
Charles Riggs
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Ian Dalziel
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
James Hogg
12/28/09
Read quark(s) (was: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science)
Adam Funk
1/1/10
Read Re: quark(s) (was: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science)
jimbotuk2000
1/2/10
Read Re: quark(s)
Adam Funk
1/2/10
Read Re: quark(s)
mahipal7638@gmail.com
1/3/10
Read Re: quark(s)
Adam Funk
1/3/10
Read Re: quark(s)
David DeLaney
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Peter T. Daniels
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Brian M. Scott
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Brian M. Scott
12/31/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
12/31/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Robert Bannister
1/1/10
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
1/1/10
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Cheryl
1/2/10
[...]
Read Gauss and Latin
Andrew Usher
1/2/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Immortalist
1/10/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Andrew Usher
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
António Marques
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
James Silverton
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
António Marques
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
James Silverton
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
James Hogg
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Pat Durkin
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
António Marques
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Pat Durkin
1/10/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Peter T. Daniels
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Brian M. Scott
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Andrew Usher
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Andrew Usher
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Peter T. Daniels
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Brian M. Scott
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Jerry Friedman
1/11/10
Read Re: Gauss and Latin
Andrew Usher
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
ostap_bender_1900@hotmail.com
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
ZZBunker
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Joachim Pense
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
jmfbahciv
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
chazwin
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
ZerkonXXXX
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
chazwin
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
chazwin
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Ace0f_5pades
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Ace0f_5pades
12/26/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Yusuf B Gursey
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Robert Bannister
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Yusuf B Gursey
12/27/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
ZZBunker
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Dennis
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Ace0f_5pades
12/28/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Ace0f_5pades
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
OwlHoot
12/29/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Yusuf B Gursey
12/30/09
Read Re: Latin, the Enlightenment, and science
Immortalist
3/11/10
Read Re: What the FUCK does this have to see with mathematics, ASSHOLE
adamk