The Math Forum

Topic: Goldbach Conjecture and Schnirelmann's "300,000 primes"
Replies: 11   Last Post: Mar 1, 2010 6:00 PM

drobotv@gmail.com

Schnirelmann (Was Re: Goldbach Conjecture and Schnirelmann's "300,000 primes")

<drobot@pacbell.net> replied

> I don't think the obituary makes the claim about 300,000. i.e., the
> claim that every even number can be
> represented as a sum of at most 300,000 primes. In a couple of days
> I'll make the translation of the obituary available

As promised, I provide a translation of the above reference. You can
see it or download it from

http://www.vdrobot.com/Handouts/SchnrlmnObit.pdf

Some notes. The Russian version of this obituary first appears in Rec.
Math. [Mat. Sbornik] N.S., 4(46):1 (1938), I-III. The reference above
is
essentially a reprint, with minor changes. Poke on Google for
"Schnirelmann obituary" to see it there.
I could not find who was the author, but I really didn't spend a lot
of time on it.

There is a very extensive article (in Russian) about Schnirelmann, by
V. Tikhomirov and V. Uspenski.
It appears in the publication Kvant in 1996, for the details see

http://kvant.mirror1.mccme.ru/1996/02/lev_genrihovich_shnirelman.htm

It is about 20 - 25 pages long, going into various aspects of his life
and his mathematics in a much more detail than the above, which is a
rather formal and dry obituary.
It is an extremely interesting an lively article, and I think it would
be of great interest to the English speaking mathematical community.
One of the topics, for example, is the discussion of his death. He
apparently committed a suicide, at the age of 33, and the article
discusses
possible motives - an interest of NKVD (precursor to KGB) in
Schnirelmann being one of them. Being retired and gainfully
unemployed, with lots of time,
I'd be willing to provide a translation, but before I start I'd like
to know if one already exists, perhaps. I am not into re-inventing
wheels.
I poked around the web, and could not find anything, but if anyone
knows that a translation was already done, let me know. Otherwise,
I'll start plodding.

As ever,

Vlad

* Vladimir Drobot