Topic: Geometry Regents Exam
Replies: 30   Last Post: Feb 10, 2010 2:01 PM

Gen Lagattuta

Re: Take home tests?
att1.html (4.5 K)

I have given two take home tests so far in Alg 2 and Trig, but I had the
students and parents sign a contract first. The contract indicates that the
student may work with other students in completing the test, use their
notes, textbook and internet as resources and ask me for help only after a
full attempt has been made.
They may not just copy another student¹s paper or copy the actual solution
directly from the internet. (i.e. They ask ³Dr. Math² for the answer.)
Also, they may not just have a tutor do the work for them.

On the day the students hand in the take home test, they are given a quiz
with three or four questions that are identical to questions on the actual
take home test. If their work on the quiz is consistent with the work on
the take home test, they may keep the grade on the take home. If the work
on the quiz is inconsistent, meaning they achieved a high score on the take
home test but bombed the quiz, they must retake the entire test with me
after school within two days. As was mentioned in a previous post, I also
require work on every question, even on the multiple choice questions.

The bottom line ­ I want the students to practice and understand the
material. So far it is going fairly well; many students work in groups
after school to work on homework or a take home test. Since time is limited
in this course, I feel that much of the review of previous topics will need
to be done by the students. Those students who are completing the take home
tests in the manner I have intended should be prepared for the exam. As for
the other students, it is their loss if they are not taking advantage of
this opportunity. I know they are juniors, but I also have the parents sign
an updated progress report every two to three weeks so that the parents can
see how much effort their child has been putting forth. By the time the
regents exam rolls around, there should be no surprises.

-Genevieve