Topic: Is a most-likely probability 'better' depending on the size of the
next-most-likely?

Replies: 4   Last Post: Feb 3, 2010 12:28 PM

petertwocakes@googlemail.com

Re: Is a most-likely probability 'better' depending on the size of
the next-most-likely?

On 3 Feb, 10:51, "David Jones" <dajx...@ceh.ac.uk> wrote:
> Steve wrote:

> >> Have you thought of involving a cost function? This would give a
> >> value/cost/utility to choosing word B, if word A is actually
> >> correct. Then some aspects of your problem would eventually become
> >> generalised to comparing a single alternative with its cost, with
> >> lots of small probabilities each having different costs. In such a
> >> case, you might prefer the second if a lot of the small
> >> probabilities are associated with small costs and only a few with
> >> high costs.

> >> Here "cost" might be used to distinguish similar words with similar
> >> meanings from similar words with different meanings.

> >> David Jones
>
> > Thanks David, I hadn't thought of that idea. There's a lot of
> > parameters linked to each candidate, such as meaning, part-of-speech,
> > useage-frequency, collocation-frequency, context likelihood etc. so I
> > could certainly shape some kind of cost for going against the grain of
> > these.

> > I'm still wondering if there's some simple heuristic involved with
> > cases like these though.

> > An example might be if I collected millions of usenet postings and
> > found significant amounts of these examples:

> > "Just my two * worth"  and found * = cents 51% of the time and found
> > rupees, yen etc 4.9% of the time for 10 variations.

> > and
>
> > "I married my * in a church" with * = wife 51% and husband 49%.
>
> > Even if you were sure the probabilities were very accurate,  the
> > 'cents' example just seems a safer bet because each alternative is
> > quite unlikely.

> > Steve
>
> The cost approach has the potential that, with an extremely large amount of work, you could do a thorough application of decision theory to tell you what to choose in any given case. But it can also help to think about the problem. One of the essential parts are probabilities like that of "being wrong if I choose this one", as this would weight the cost of the choice. If you think about these, rather than the probability that "this one is right", then it would help to justify your feeling about the intrepretation to be made when you have lots of small probabilities ...these would convert to lots of instances where the probability of being wrong is high.
>
> David Jones

It's definitely given me a new perspective on weighing these kind of
choices. There's no shortage of test data to try the cost approach and
see how it performs compared to simple probability alone.

Thanks

Steve