Topic: Fw: URGENT-read about proposed changes in Regents
Replies: 15   Last Post: Mar 11, 2010 10:47 AM

Prehn, Lynn M.

2010 Secure Audit Tests/Field Tests Administration for ELA/Math 3-8
att1.html (22.7 K)

Have you seen the memo from SED about giving Field Tests to grades 3-8 in both ELA and math on May 4th of this year?

That's real convenient as they take the ELA tests the previous week and then take our math assessments a day or two after the field tests. What are they thinking? They couldn't have waited 1 more week so all the high stakes exams that measure AYP are out of the way?

I suspect that there will be a noticeable drop statewide among achievement compared to ELA results the week prior when the kids are fresh and have not already completed two strenuous tests immediately beforehand.

Does anyone else see this as a little unreasonable?

Lynn Prehn
AIS Math 6 - 8
Department Chair
Galway Central School

________________________________
From: sjohnso3@twcny.rr.com <sjohnso3@twcny.rr.com>
To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Cc: "Judith Kapp" <kapprsm@yahoo.com>
Date: Tuesday, March 9, 2010, 1:23 PM
According to this morning's Utica Observer-Dispatch

" While the Board of Regents met Monday to discuss this matter, officials with the state Education Department said no decisions were made and no time line has been set to make a decision. They did not respond to further questions."

Unfortunatley this article is not on-line but in the physical paper.
---- Judith Kapp <kapprsm@yahoo.com<http://us.mc1124.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=kapprsm@yahoo.com>> wrote:
> I hear that there was a meeting about this yesterday, but didn't hear of the results. Were any decisions made?
>
> Judith Kapp
> Catholic Central HS
> Troy, NY

How many schools out there are on a block schedule? The elimination of a January Regents would definitely be a drawback to keeping our current semester setup.

Kevin M. Connolly
Math teacher - Elmira Free Academy
951 Hoffman Street
Elmira, NY 14905