Topic: Is _Brave New World_ really science fiction?
Replies: 7   Last Post: Apr 12, 2010 11:06 PM

jsavard@ecn.ab.ca

Re: Is _Brave New World_ really science fiction?

On Apr 10, 6:02 pm, "Jesse F. Hughes" <je...@phiwumbda.org> wrote:
> Jonathan Schattke <wiz...@gmail.com> writes:

> > It actually points to the failure of "constructivist" mathematicians
> > over "platonic" ones - the refusal to accept the trichotomy theorem and
> > infinity leads to strange results.  Such as saying there is a concrete
> > minimum real.

> How's that?  Do constructivists really believe there is a concrete
> minimum real?

Considering that all the rationals can be constructed, and there is no
smallest rational number greater than zero, I would have thought that
even if constructivism does lead to absurdities, this wouldn't be one
of them.

John Savard