Topic: Matlab vs. VBA
Replies: 53   Last Post: Dec 19, 2013 2:13 AM

Derek Goring

Re: Matlab vs. VBA

On Thursday, December 19, 2013 7:18:05 PM UTC+13, Marc wrote:
> TideMan <mulgor@gmail.com> wrote in message <86382cd5-68fe-4551-8681-6a6c993aab26@googlegroups.com>...
>

> > On Monday, December 16, 2013 1:15:21 PM UTC+13, Yun wrote:
>
> > > Just saw your comparison that one of the differences is:
>

> > > VBA has a "GoTo" function.
>

> > > MATLAB doesn't? I'm trying to get it to skip a part of the code when it is inside a loop. Is this the best option?
>

> > > Thanks,
>

> > No, it's the worst option.
>

> > To avoid goto (which doesn't exist anyway), you just need to think of it the other way around.
>
> > Instead of
>
> > if x < 0, goto 10
>
> > you do
>
> > if x >= 0
>
> > code that would be skipped if x < 0
>
> > end
>

> The dreaded goto argument.... For another topic.... I guess Yun wants us to compare Matlab to Fortran77 now.
>

> So, after this heated exchange, the one thing that I hated about VBA was its ability to propagate errors within an organization. Now, maybe I am not as sophisticated as Tom in VBA but with VBA, when you save an excel file there is very little assurance that the VBA calcs in that workbook does not get saved on someone else's system, changed, and then so on and so forth.
>

> Sure you can propagate errors in Matlab and I know that there is some way to save macros so that they are used by all excel workbooks but if you have say 1000s of experiments and realize that there is an error in the calculations. In Matlab, it would be very easy to rerun the 1000s of experiments through one function ("funnel") versus somehow reopening 1000s of excel files, correcting the VBA calcs and moving on.
>

> Also, after the change, the data and changes are still STUCK in excel.
>

> Prototyping, developing and complex analysis are done faster in Matlab.

And Excel has a significant bug in its times.
It assumes that 1900 was a leap year, when everybody knows that a century is only a leap year if the number of centuries is divisable by 4, i.e., 2000 was leap year, but 1900 was not.
So, if you're using Excel to calculate tides (whose time base is 1/1/1900), I'm afraid you'll be a day out.
What a rubbish program!!

Date Subject Author
8/28/10
Read Matlab vs. VBA