Topic: Acceleration for all
Replies: 4   Last Post: Oct 7, 2010 9:54 AM

MMerwin5@aol.com

Re: Acceleration for all
att1.html (2.4 K)

We tried this before the new 3-8 standards were put in place (pre 2005) and it didn't work. Not everyone was ready and we ended up having to split the class halfway through the school year. Now there are 8th grade Performance Indicators that are not part of the Algebra curriculum that you would have to make sure you add to your course, such as problems involving the angles formed by parallel lines cut by a transversal. Even with small classes, we only accelerate the students that have shown they can do the work.

~ Margaret Merwin
St. Mary's Academy
Hoosick Falls
Middle School Math Teacher

-----Original Message-----
From: jon lebenns <jebster58@aol.com>
To: nysmsmath@mathforum.org
Sent: Tue, Oct 5, 2010 12:31 pm
Subject: Acceleration for all

We at ESMHS are going to accelerate all of this year's 7th grade into Algebra
ext year. Can anyone offer me some insight into
) success, failure, mixed results?
) preparation of 7th graders for such an undertaking?
) unintended consequences?
) preventable problems?
ny info would be greatly appreciated

Read prior posts and download attachments from the web archives at
http://mathforum.org/kb/forum.jspa?forumID=672