The Math Forum

Replies: 12   Last Post: Oct 17, 2010 4:13 PM

Ralph A. Raimi

Re: [math-learn] Ralph A. Raimi's Article "Precision of Speech"
att1.html (17.9 K)

On Sun, 17 Oct 2010, Anna Roys wrote:

>> ... reason for why mathematics education
>> is failing our students:
>>
>> http://www.math.rochester.edu/people/faculty/rarm/precision.html.

> When trying to access this link, I received the following message
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> Access denied ...
>
> Sorry, you're not allowed to view the page you requested. It's possible
> that the page isn't ready for viewing yet, or the author of the page has
> mistakenly made it unreadable.

> I am most interested in reading this speech and your thoughts, is it
> available through another source?

I don't know of any other source, but believe the message you got
is mistaken. I have tried to reach the article in question in various
ways, from different computers and via different browsers, and each time
it comes up without trouble. (I did it using the URL as you printed it,
so it cannot be that the fault lies with the typography.)

However, there is an alternate route you can try, by getting my
"home" web page and then, by stages, closing in on the part that contains
the article.

First you use the URL below my signature (below), i.e., you
enter <http://www.math.rochester.edu/people/faculty/rarm/>; this will
bring you to the main page of my "web site", where you will be offered
some choices. Click on *Non-technical Writings. This will bring up a
'page' with titles of such writings.

The fourteenth listed title is "Precision in speech". Click on
that and you will get the paper in question. (I *think* that is the
fourteenth paper but cannot guarantee my accurach in counting. But
knowing '14th' to be precise here is not really important.) Looking again
at all the lovely papers you will have to bypass to get to this particular
one makes me a little sorry that you will probably reach your goal without
further delay.

Rereading the piece just now, I have just noticed an error. I
wrote that "up to twelve cigarettes" conveys no information on the number
we might like to know, except that the "smokers referred to" do not smoke
*more than* 12 per day. I'm not sure that the newspaper's phrasing made
that inference *entirely* valid. One might debate that at some other
time.

Ralph A. Raimi Tel. 585 275 4429 or (home) 585 244 9368
Dept. of Mathematics, Univ. of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14627
<http://www.math.rochester.edu/people/faculty/rarm/>