Topic: Mathematics as a language
Replies: 6   Last Post: Nov 11, 2010 1:49 PM

Bill Taylor

Re: Mathematics as a language

On Nov 5, 12:38 am, stevendaryl3...@yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough)
wrote:

>> However, "believe", as it has come to be forced to mean,
>> by religious apologists over the centuries, contains
>> an irremovable element in it, of...

>>"...and I will continue to believe this no matter what
>> evidence or argument is presented against it."

> I don't think "believe" means that.

I think that is the common usage - and as I say, it might
not be a major part of the idea of belief, but I suspect it is
indeed a tincture that cannot be expunged for most people.

I suspect that most everyday folk would say -

** "Well, THAT'S not much of a belief if you think
** there's a good chance you'll reverse it tomorrow!"

They would say this with some disapprobation, indeed.

> People change their religious beliefs all the time,
> going from atheist to believer and back again, or
> switching from Jewish to Buddhist, or whatever.

Sure, but WHILE they believe in a particular religious thing,
they include SOME idea that this is what they'll believe
for the rest of their life; in spite of their past changes.

A bit like the wedding vows of those people who've been
married and divorced a great many times! :-)

-- Once-wedded Willy