Topic: Mathematics as a language
Replies: 5   Last Post: Nov 10, 2010 12:05 AM

Bill Taylor

Re: Mathematics as a language

Transfer Principle <lwal...@lausd.net> responded:

> And I'm just wondering, does this "some claim theirs _are_" have
> anything to do with "cranks," as in WM, AP, and so on?

Not necessarily at all. Those who claim their intuitions
about sets are all well and good, include...

1: Many crackpots;

2: Many oridnary working mathematicians;

3: Some of the top logicians and set theorists of
the past and present, including Godel and Woodin.

Of course, these groups may be further qualified...

(1) probably usually have a totally different concept
of sets from everyone else;

(2) mostly couldn't give a toss one way or the other;

(3) mostly would be very chary of ascribing much
personal confidence in their view of set ontology.
The two mentioned are (I suspect) among a tiny minority.

-- Workaday William