Topic: Bloom taxonomy in Math
Replies: 2   Last Post: Dec 3, 2010 12:21 PM

DCJLEE@AOL.COM

Re: Bloom taxonomy in Math
att1.html (4.6 K)

Proposed levels may not come as sharply distinctive, yet well defined
levels, illustrated by lots of detailed relevant examples, seem to be
needed
as a practical guide for designing assessment instruments, and may
have implications for lesson planning.

One simple example. Consider the formula for the square of a sum

>>> (a+b)^2 = a^2 + 2ab + b^2

I've regularly witnessed the following five distinct scenarios:

(1 ) Student knows this formula, and can use it to compute 103^2 mentally
(without assistance).
(1*) Student knows this formula, and can use it to compute 103^2 mentally
(with the hint to use the formula).

(2 ) Student knows this formula, and can use it to compute (100+3)^2
mentally (without assistance).
(2*) Student knows this formula, and can use it to compute (100+3)^2
mentally (with the hint to use the formula).
(3 ) A student knows this formula, and cannot do any of the above (even
with the hint to use the formula).

Haven't you experienced similar situations? Their daily occurence seems
to indicate the existence of different "levels" of understanding of the
formula,
however "levels" are ultimately defined?

In a message dated 12/1/2010 1:45:59 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
schremmer.alain@gmail.com writes:

On Dec 1, 2010, at 8:59 AM, DCJLEE@aol.com wrote:

> [...]

In order to respond, it would be useful, at least to me, to know a
bit more precisely what the issue(s) actually are that you want to
deal with.

While there obviously are "levels" at which mathematics is
understood---my level of understanding is certainly not that of, say,
Grothendieck or Thurston---I would argue that the notion of level
doesn't concern our students just like, while there are levels that
are meaningful for, say, sprinters or long distance runners, the
concept seems a bit useless both for children learning to walk and
for adults walking.

Beyond that, I would argue that while, for instance, Anderson and
Krathwohl (2001)' pyramid

Creating
Evaluating
Analysing
Applying
Understanding
Remembering

might look good, it is not really relevant: In those few fields in
which I have some small competency---mathematics, building
construction, political sciences, mechanics, ... ---all six verbs
have all always been there and thus did not characterize levels and
if the mix changed a bit over time, it certainly was not monotonically.

Regards
--schremmer

P.S. Lot of interesting stuff on http://www.learningandteaching.info/