Topic: x^n
Replies: 10   Last Post: Feb 21, 1998 3:44 PM

Herbert Kasube

Re: x^n

On Wed, 18 Feb 1998, David A. Olson wrote:

> After the students understand the product rule, use mathematical
> induction to show that the derivative of x^n is n x^(n-1). (This
> approach is "out of order" in most Calculus books, but so what.)

This is really a nice idea...

I have often used this inductive approach with my discrete mathematics
class to illustrate an example of where the two courses can overlap. I
feel that showing connections between mathematics courses is very
important.

Herb Kasube
Department of Mathematics
Bradley University