Topic: Re: [CALC-REFORM:2172] War of the Worlds
Replies: 2   Last Post: Mar 13, 1995 5:07 PM

Edward S. Miller

Re: [CALC-REFORM:2176] Re: War of the Worlds

On Mon, 13 Mar 1995, DICK BELDIN wrote:

> My students learn the rules of differentiation quickly and well. After all, if
> a computer can do it, why can't a student? What they seem to lack is the
> ability to plan an attack on a problem. If it doesn't yield to their first or
> second guess, then they give up. I think I'd like to try using Polya's HOW TO
> SOLVE IT for a required first semester college course and reduce Calculus I-III
> down to two semesters utilizing technology for the mechanizable parts.
>
> What do you think about that proposal?

I know that I'm jumping in somewhat late, following several good

I think that calculus is a wonderful place for problem solving and
thinking. Even after reducing out some of the mechanical stuff or
relegating it to technological solution, I still can't fit in all that I
would like in three four credit classes. In the 226 class meetings, I
still have to gloss over interesting stuff (in all of Darko's
classifications) and omit fun/useful/challenging activities (exercises,
labs, projects, readings, writings). Why divorce reasoning from content?

And besides, I certainly don't feel constrained to giving only calculus
problems in calculus classes -- that just contributes to rigid thinking.

--Ed

Edward S. Miller edmiller@lcsc.edu

Division of Natural Sciences VOICE 208-799-2810
Lewis-Clark State College FAX 208-799-2064
500 8th Avenue
Lewiston ID 83501-2698 USA