Topic: Re: [CALC-REFORM:3014] Re: Upper Level Courses
Replies: 1   Last Post: Nov 25, 1995 10:00 AM

woods debra j

Re: [CALC-REFORM:3020] Re: Upper Level Courses

A good point. The students place themselves in the courses. Many of my
students place themselves there due to whether it fits in their schedules
or not. Additionally, many of the freshmen students don't even know what
they have chosen. This is another area worthy of study. I would like to
study this where the students are randomly placed, but there are problems
when you take choice away from the students. this study includes the
entire population of students who have taken Calculus&Mathematica at the
University of Illinois since it's inception. Some may or may not have
been subjected to propaganda,either positive or negative. Students high
school records were only used as a basis of admission to the university.
ACT score were checked to see if one group was higher than the other for
students in C&M or traditional calculus. This data only reflects the
trend for students in this class at this university.

Thank you very much for your comments. I will keep these questions in
mind for future analysis.