Topic: Re: [CALC-REFORM:3047] A small amount of DE's
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
JansonEdit@aol.com

Archimedes wrote:

>One thing I really miss [and this is relevant to the present discussion]
>in texts I have been using recently is an early section on Differential
>Equations. Let's face it, most of the taplications of calculus in physics
>and applied mathematics is in the area of differential equations, so it
>makes sense to do just a tiny bit of DE within the first 5 or 6 chapters
>of any calculus text. I am hopelessly "non-reform" in my thinking, I
>suppose, but surely this fits in nicely with the overall pedagogical
>goals?

Another text:

Contemporary Calculus Through Applications (by the North Carolina School of
Science and Mathematics) includes as chapter 4 "Numerical Solutions to
Differential Equations" immediately after "Interpreting and Applying the
Derivative". In addition, there is a section in chapter 5, "Integrals and
the Fundamental Theorem", titled "Differential Equations and Data Analysis".

Eric E. Karnowski
Mathematics Editor
Janson Publications, Inc.