Topic: Re: [CALC-REFORM:3105] RE: functions
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Ron Vavrinek

Re: [CALC-REFORM:3105] RE: functions

At the risk of sounding stupid, I don't understand the following comment.
Are you saying that it is harmful for students to be able to visualize a
function?

>From: MX%"calc-reform@e-math.ams.org" 3-DEC-1995 13:17:17.16
>To: MX%"calc-reform@e-math.ams.org"
>CC:
>Subj: [CALC-REFORM:3071] functions
>
>THE IDENTIFICATION OF A FUNCTION WITH ITS GRAPH IS ONE OF THE
>MOST HARMFUL THINGS WE CAN DO IN TERMS OF THE DEVELOPMENT OF
>A STUDENT'S UNDERSTANDING OF FUNCTION.
>
>--- Mark (bridger@neu.edu)
>I ee. My physics teacher get confused when he taught us d-t graph when a body
>accelerates. the shape of graph can also be cubic and so on.

Ron Vavrinek Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy
Math Team Leader 1500 W. Sullivan Road
rvav@imsa.edu Aurora, IL 60506
(708) 907-5964

Remember:
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.