Topic: Re: [CALC-REFORM:3136] RE: functions
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Ron Vavrinek

On Sat, 9 Dec 1995 qi@mshri.on.ca wrote:

> Yes, I do think it is SORT of harmful for student to depend on visualizing
> functions. What about hyperdimensional figures? They are not possible to
> visualize. Therefore, I think students should be able to IMAGINE as well as
> just see pictures!

I agree that as students mature mathematically, they must come to imagine
functions. However (and this probably reflects my high school teaching
background), visualization is important to students who are just learning
about functions.

Ron Vavrinek Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy
Math Team Leader 1500 W. Sullivan Road
rvav@imsa.edu Aurora, IL 60506
(708) 907-5964

Remember:
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.