Topic: The problem with problem-solving
Replies: 2   Last Post: Dec 24, 2010 3:18 AM

Anne Watson

The problem with problem-solving

I am entering this discussion rather late I expect.

One of the problems around this issue is the language itself. There are indeed many teachers who make the goals of problem-solving the problem-solving methods themselves, and not the mathematics, and also not the specific mathematical contributions to problem-solving. The truncated problem-solving algorithm of 'understand the problem; make a plan; carry out a plan; evaluate the plan' is far too vague and generic. What does it take to understand a problem mathematically? You have to coordinate a search for variables with your knowledge of how the situation works, or is likely to work; you have to get a sense of covariation, constraints, the domain of enquiry in terms of those variables. You have to set up some representation and - if you are really good- make that representation minimal in terms of the numkber of variables and amenable to variation --- etc. etc. Yet many mathematics lessons orientate themselves around trial and error approaches, arithmetical or engineering type testing, until the 'problem' is 'solved'. Once a problem is solved - who is interested in generalisation or mathematisation for other similar problems?

I agree with Jonathan that there is too little written about these particularly mathematical aspects of mathematical problem-solving - as a field we are inarticulate about what it is like to gaze and gaze at a situation, trying this, trying that, until suddenly we see a familiar structure that we can symbolise and manipulate in order to gain insight. This isn't quite like 'reducing the problem to one you know how to solve' which in Polya's hands is a mathematising technique but in less skilled hands is a mish-mash.

The missing ingredient is what the Freudenthal Institute call vertical mathematisation - to work on several problems that have some structrure in common, and then to extract from that family of situations the core mathematical structure that can become a tool. Generic PS algorithms just talk about evaluating the answer; mathematicians ask 'what other problems have I worked on that have similarities to this?' Until this stage is included in problem-based mathematics teaching - as the main part of the process instead of as an optional add-on - it will be quite legitimate to be criticised. I speak as someone who used extended exploratory tasks throughout my own school teaching - with some success - and know well the pitfalls. Studnets will not learn to be mathematical if the end point of problem-solving is the answer. They will also not learn to be mathematical if the end point of anything is an answer, so this applies to so-called traditional methods too.

Anne Watson
Professor of Mathematics Education, Department of Education, University of Oxford (Linacre College)