Topic: Re: MindLESS vs MindFUL manipulation
Replies: 44   Last Post: May 27, 1999 8:15 PM

John A Benson

Re: Algebraic Manipulation

I am more than a little bothered by the idea that we should only be teaching
division to our very best. The original part of this strand was about how to
engage students in a discussion so that they would understand algorithms.
The example was about understanding division. So now we have before us a
proposal that admits that it we may leave mediocre students behind but hhat
is O.K.?

I really hope there is sarcasim in this reply that I have missed. I would
hate to think that there are educators who believe, indeed even advocate,
that we do not have a deep obligation to reach the "mediocre" students with
basic mathematical ideas.

>On 25 May 1999, Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:
>

>> So I wonder, how can we guide students to struggle with just a few
>> important ideas? The struggle doesn't have to last months or years;
>> somewhere between hours and days seems about right.
>>

> Easy. Just give them problems as homework and tell them that
>homework will constitute 40% of their final grade. They will struggle.
>Give them hints during the next class and say that the ones that solve
>them by the next class will get 3/4 of the credit and so on, more hints
>-- less credit.
> You may lose the mediocre students this way, but the best will
>get the best results.

John Benson (School) (Home)
Evanston Township High School 715 South Boulevard
Evanston Illinois 60204 Evanston IL 60202-2907
(847) 492-5848 Phone (847) 328-8019 Phone
(847) 492-3872 Fax (847) 328-8920 Fax

send mail to:

majordomo@ams.org

with the following in the message body:

unsubscribe calc-reform your_email_address

-Information on the subject line is disregarded.

Date Subject Author
12/22/98
Read Re: MindLESS vs MindFUL manipulation
LnMcmullin@aol.com
1/15/99
Read Algebraic Manipulation
tony asdourian
1/15/99
Read Re: Algebraic Manipulation
Jerry Uhl
1/15/99
Read Algebraic Manipulation
Joshua Zucker
1/17/99
Read Re: Algebraic Manipulation
Doug Kuhlmann
1/17/99
Read Re: Algebraic Manipulation
Michael Livshits
1/17/99
Read Re: Teaching of Complex Numbers in HS
Susan Schwartz Wildstrom
1/18/99
Read Re: Teaching of Complex Numbers in HS
SANTU DESILVA
1/18/99
Read Re: Algebraic Manipulation
Jerry Uhl
1/15/99
Read Re: Algebraic Manipulation
Geoff Hagopian
1/15/99
Read Re: Algebraic Manipulation
LnMcmullin@aol.com
1/18/99
Read Re: Algebraic Manipulation
Jerry Uhl
1/15/99
Read Re: Algebraic Manipulation
LnMcmullin@aol.com
1/15/99
Read Re: Algebraic Manipulation
Michael Livshits
1/18/99
Read Re: Algebraic Manipulation
Jerry Uhl
1/15/99
Read Re: Algebraic Manipulation
me@talmanl1.mscd.edu
1/16/99
Read Re: Algebraic Manipulation
Michael Livshits
1/16/99
Read Re: Algebraic Manipulation
Victor Steinbok
1/17/99
Read Re: Algebraic Manipulation
SANTU DESILVA
1/16/99
Read Re: Algebraic Manipulation
Tony Asdourian
1/16/99
Read Re: Algebraic Manipulation
scottp@TEN-NASH.TEN.K12.TN.US
1/16/99
Read Re: Algebraic Manipulation
Michael Livshits
1/16/99
Read Re: Algebraic Manipulation
John Pais
1/16/99
Read Re: Algebraic Manipulation
me@talmanl1.mscd.edu
1/16/99
Read Re: Algebraic Manipulation
Michael Livshits
1/17/99
Read Re: Algebraic Manipulation
SANTU DESILVA
1/18/99
Read Re: Algebraic Manipulation
LnMcmullin@aol.com
1/18/99
Read Re: Algebraic Manipulation
LnMcmullin@aol.com
1/18/99
Read Re: Algebraic Manipulation
me@talmanl1.mscd.edu
1/18/99
Read Re: Algebraic Manipulation
Susan Pustejovsky
1/19/99
Read Re: Algebraic Manipulation
Kazimierz Wiesak
1/19/99
Read Re: Algebraic Manipulation
LnMcmullin@aol.com
1/22/99
Read Re: Algebraic Manipulation
CalcPage@aol.com
1/22/99
Read Re: Algebraic Manipulation
CalcPage@aol.com
1/22/99
Read Re: Algebraic Manipulation
CalcPage@aol.com
1/22/99
Read Re: Algebraic Manipulation
CalcPage@aol.com
1/22/99
Read Re: Algebraic Manipulation
CalcPage@aol.com
1/23/99
Read Re: Algebraic Manipulation
LnMcmullin@aol.com
1/23/99
Read Re: Algebraic Manipulation
Michael Livshits
5/21/99
Read Math as a vehicle for intellectual development
John Evans
5/22/99
Read Re: Math as a vehicle for intellectual development
Arnold Jansen
1/23/99
Read Re: Algebraic Manipulation
CalcPage@aol.com