Topic: Test Preparation materials
Replies: 39   Last Post: Apr 13, 1999 7:29 AM

John A Benson

Re: Test Preparation materials

Funny thing.

In the AP calc course I teach, I get a lot of students who have learned
Algebra, trig and geometry that way. They are cocky and have learned the
material in a rote manner and think algebra is a bunch of algorithms. come
to think of it, I get a few of those kinds of students in my high school
freshman class as well. Perhaps I should send them back to middle school so
they can do more arithmetic and this time really learn it well before they
ge tto me so I can teach them math the real way.

Reform is a funny thing.

> Jerry Uhl <juhl@NCSA.UIUC.EDU>
>wrote about Re: Test Preparation materials:
>
>:
>:It happens all too often.
>
>Sheila King
>And what reason do you have to believe that a high school course that
>was not part of the AP program would be any better? Or are you
>suggesting that high school students not take calculus at all?
>

>***********************************
>
>In some cases (maybe most) I would say, "yes" - it would have been
>better if they had not taken Calculus. From your discussion, it
>sounds like you help students to "think" about Calculus, and do not
>make robots out of them who can only do well on a test - I would
>love to inherit one of your students. However, I also receive the
>cocky AP student who has been programmed to do well on a test, and
>thinks that Calculus is a bunch of algorithms. They don't know *why*
>they are doing anything (and don't want to know why), and get upset
>when they have to really think about solving a different type of
>problem. I would rather that this student spent time in High School
>sharpening some of their algebra, trig., problem solving, and
>thinking skills, and came to me ready to start Calculus.
>
>As Jerry said, "The style of the course (exam prep) is the question."

>Patrice Conrath
>Dept. of Mathematics
>Bethel College
>3900 Bethel Drive
>St. Paul, MN 55112
>
>(651) 638-6348
>e-mail: conrath@bethel.edu
> send mail to:
>
> majordomo@ams.org
>
> with the following in the message body:
>
> unsubscribe calc-reform your_email_address
>

>-Information on the subject line is disregarded.

John Benson (School) (Home)
Evanston Township High School 715 South Boulevard
Evanston Illinois 60204 Evanston IL 60202-2907
(847) 492-5848 Phone (847) 328-8019 Phone
(847) 492-3872 Fax (847) 328-8920 Fax

send mail to:

majordomo@ams.org

with the following in the message body:

unsubscribe calc-reform your_email_address

-Information on the subject line is disregarded.

Date Subject Author
4/6/99
Read Test Preparation materials
Donald Danner