Topic: college calculus tutorial programs
Replies: 4   Last Post: Jun 23, 1999 6:37 PM

Herbert Kasube

Re: college calculus tutorial programs

Dear Erin,

Yesterday you wrote:

> HELP!!! Does anyone know of good software or other resources to help
> me get through calculus. I am going to be a sophmore at the
> University of San Diego and am enrolled in calculus for the fall term.
> I had always done reasonably well in math through precalculus in high
> school - though had to work for the grades. During my first term at
> USD I was placed in a calculus class, and struggled horribly.
> Needless to say, I flunked the class. Luckily, I have the opportunity
> to retake it and replace the grade. I will have a different teacher,
> and a tutor twice a week, but I want to start working on the class
> now. Please help me with some suggestions.

Here are some suggestions (warnings) that I regularly give my students.
I'd be interested to hear what others say.

1. Keep up with the material DAILY. Calculus builds so much on
previous material that keeping up is very important.

2. Don't be afraid to ask questions either in or out of class.(See
#1)

3. Be wary of becoming too dependent upon a tutor. Don't get me
wrong. A little extra help never hurts, but if every time you get stuck
on a problem you ask a tutor (or look in the back of the book) you never
learn how to get over those bumps by yourself, which is what you have to
do during an exam. You must learn what to do when you don't know what to
do.

4. Now, before the class starts in the Fall spend some time with a
good precalculus book reviewing algebra and particularly functions.

5. RELAX!! Yes, the material in calculus is important, but life goes
on ...

GOOD LUCK !!

Herb Kasube
Associate Professor of Mathematics
Bradley University
Peoria, IL 61625
hkasube@bradley.bradley.edu

send mail to:

majordomo@ams.org

with the following in the message body:

unsubscribe calc-reform your_email_address

-Information on the subject line is disregarded.