Topic: Quote Quiz [Was: Stewart]
Replies: 3   Last Post: Oct 17, 2001 11:53 AM

Bill Bauldry

Quote Quiz [Was: Stewart]

Good Afternoon Calc_Reform,

Since we're talking about books, here's a passage from the appendix of a
text by a well-known, respected mathematician -- the first to correctly
identify the author, book, and year of publication wins the prize! (I have
no idea what the prize is, but it must be worth winning.)

> Hints to Teachers, and to Teachers of Teachers
>
> Teachers who wish to make use of this book in their profession should not
> neglect the hints addressed to all readers, but they should pay a

ttention also
> to the following remarks.
> As explained in the Preface, this book is designed to give opportunity for
> creative work on an appropriate level to prospective high school mathematics
> teachers (also to teachers already in service). Such opportunity is desirable,
> I think: a teacher who has had no personal experience of some sort of creative
> work can scarcely expect to be able to inspire, to lead, to help, or even to
> recognize the creative activity of his students.
> The averag

e teacher cannot be expected to do research on some very advanced
> subject. Yet the solution of a nonroutine mathematical problem is genuine
> creative work. The problems proposed in this book (which are not marked with a
> dagger) do not require much knowledge beyond the high school level, but they
> do require some degree, and sometimes a high degree, of concentration and
> judgment. The solution of problems of this kind is, in my opinion, the kind of
> creative work that ought to be introduced int

o the high school mathematics
> teachers' curriculum. In fact, in solving this kind of problems, the
> prospective teacher has an opportunity to acquire thorough knowledge of high
> school mathematics ‹ real knowledge, ready to use, not acquired by mere
> memorizing but by applying it to interesting problems. Then, which is even
> more important, he may acquire some know-how, some skill in handling high
> school mathematics, some insight into the essentials of problem-solving. All
> this will enable

him lo lead, and to judge, his students' work more
> efficiently.

Regards,
Bill

===================================
Wm C Bauldry, PhD
Professor and Chairperson
Department of Mathematical Sciences
Appalachian State University
Boone, NC 28608-2092
phone: (828) 262-3050
fax: (828) 265-8617
mailto://BauldryWC@appstate.edu
http://math.appstate.edu/~wmcb/
send mail to:

majordomo@ams.org

with the following in the message body:

unsubscribe calc-reform your_email_address

-Information on the subject line is disregarded.