Topic: Re: Women in Maths
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Kazimierz Wiesak

Re: Women in Maths

At 11:04 AM 3/7/02 -0500, dkuhlmann@andover.edu wrote:

>Kaz cites the average math SAT score as 521 for boys with a standard
>deviation of 100. (I assume those numbers are correct.) He then assumes
>that the average math, science and engineering Ph.D. is three standard
>deviations above the average. That would be 821. Not a bad average on a
>test that has a maximim score of 800.
>
>Of course on his previous post he assumed 4.5 standard deviations above the
>mean. Those folks would have averaged 971 on the SAT.

Please, what is your point? Do you really say that because the test makers
made a cut off at 800 there are no people who are 'smarter' than other
"average 800 achievers"? That all abilities end at 800?

Use you imagination and apply normal probability distribution with mean 521
and standard deviation of 100.

kw

send mail to:

majordomo@ams.org

with the following in the message body:

unsubscribe calc-reform your_email_address

-Information on the subject line is disregarded.