Topic: CL # 4, Some comments
Replies: 27   Last Post: Dec 11, 1996 4:08 PM

roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu

Re: CL # 4, Some comments

>On Mon, 11 Nov 1996, Ralph A. Raimi wrote:
>

>> On Sat, 9 Nov 1996, Tad Watanabe wrote:
>>
>> [Toom:] Here Ralph takes for granted that every mathematical question
>> has exactly one correct answer.

Etc. I'm concerned about the direction of this line of correspondence. I
don't care which questions anyone chooses to call mathematical or not, I
care about which questions belong in a mathematics classroom. We all seem
to agree, for example, that "write an equation in one variable x whose
solution is x = 2" is a worthwhile question. Why quibble about whether
this is to belong in the pot of questions labelled "mathematical"? My
concern is that by worrying unduly about how to categorize such a question
we end up convincing some people that it doesn't belong in a math
classroom, when clearly it does.

Judy Roitman | "Glad to have
Math, University of Kansas | these copies of things
Lawrence, KS 66045 | after a while."
913-864-4630 | Larry Eigner, 1927-1996