Topic: Re: can mathematica do this, please answer
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Dave Wagner

Re: can mathematica do this, please answer

In article <4p35oh$n9o@dragonfly.wolfram.com>,
Gunnar Larsen <gunnarl@interlink.no> wrote:

>I want to read in an ascii file containing data
>and plot each value in a sequence, generating an animated
>graph. Each picture should be saved as a bitmap, (numbered
>graf0000.bmp, graf0001.bmp.....)
>This is going to be laid out on video.
>The bitmap saving must be automatic because it is a huge amount
>of data dispalyed.

"The following information is based on experience with the Beta
version of Mathematica 3.0".

There is a way to do this using version 3.0 of Mathematica.
Here is an example from my forthcoming book, "Power Programming
with Mathematica: The Kernel", which is due out in about a month -
about the same time that version 3.0 is estimated to be released.
(What a coincidence :-) )

--- begin excerpt ---

12.3.3 Display
--------------

Display[s, g] writes the Mathematica graphics object g to the stream s in
PostScript format. If s refers to a notebook window, the graphic is rendered in
the notebook. In general, however, you can use Display to write the PostScript
to any stream, such as a file or pipe.

When you create a Mathematica graphic using any of the plotting commands, the
return value from the function is a graphics object. The picture that you see on
your screen is actually a side effect that is caused by passing the graphics
object to the function specified by the DisplayFunction option.

Options[Plot, DisplayFunction]
{DisplayFunction :> $DisplayFunction}

$DisplayFunction
Display[$Display, #1] &

The system variable $Display contains a channel (a stream or list of streams) to
which the PostScript form of graphics objects should be written. The notebook
front end initializes $Display to "stdout". Thus, in a roundabout way, the
default value of the DisplayFunction option is Display["stdout", #]&.

In version 3.0, Display takes an optional third argument that specifies a format
for the graphics output. "MPS" (Mathematica PostScript) is the default, but
other possible values include "EPS" (encapsulated PostScript), "GIF", "TIFF",
"XBitmap" (X-Windows), "MetaFile" (Microsoft Windows), and "PICT" (MacOS). (See
the entry for Display in [Wolfram 96] $A.10 for a complete list of supported
formats.) So, for example, if you want to write a GIF version of every graphic
in a Mathematica session to a separate file, as well as seeing each graphic on
the screen, you could do something like the following:

n = 1;
$DisplayFunction = Function[g,
Display[$Display, g];
Display["GIFfile"<>ToString[n++], g, "GIF"]]

--- end of excerpt ---
Power Programming with Mathematica: The Kernel
Copyright 1996 McGraw-Hill
For more information: http://www.princon.com/dbwagner/PPK/description.html

Dave Wagner
Principia Consulting