Topic: Re: Quicktime movies with Mma
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Dave Wagner

Re: Quicktime movies with Mma

In article <4pish0$jk5@dragonfly.wolfram.com>,
Harry A. Smith <hasmith@nettally.com> wrote:

>I own several versions of Mma. On my Mac, I can convert these images to
>a Quicktime movie and save it as a separate file for external viewing.
>... But when I go to run the
>movie on My Win95 machine (which I use for Web site work) MoviePlayer
>starts to open and then I get an error msg: Can't Open Movie.

Your problem is that some of the QT info is contained in the Mac file's
resource fork. When you move the file to some other platform, all you
move is the data fork. There's a freeware utility called flattenMooV
for the Mac that fixes this. Here's the readme file:

* This is a very simple little utility to flatten Movies and allow them to be
* moved to other platforms. A flattened file is one in which all media references
* are contained in one file. It uses the QuickTime FlattenMovie to move the moov
* resource into the data fork of the MooV file.
*
* Requires System 7
*
* To use:
*
* %When you double-click the application icon, you will be prompted for the movie
* to flatten.
*
* %After opening it, the movie will be displayed, so you can review it.
*
* %Close the movie using the close box in the upper left corner, and you will be
* prompted where to save the flattened file.
*
* %After the file is saved, the application ends. Like I said, its a very simple
* little utility.
*
*
* I use this utility to save movies I make, so I can run them at work under
* Windows, and impress my coworkers.
*
* This is free-ware and can be freely distributed. All files must be distributed.
* Copyrighted 1994, Robert Hennessy,
* Compuserve addr: 70363,2164
* Internet addr : 70363.2164@compuserve.com

Dave Wagner