Topic: Re: [mg4253] Help: Column/Row Vector
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Richard L. Bowman

On Sun, 23 Jun 1996 khinast@nld.chee.uh.edu wrote:

> I have two vectors x=(x1,x2) and y = (y1,y1). How can I persuade Mathematica
> that e.g. x is a column vector and y is a row vector, which is kind of
> important for their multiplication .

Mma in a sense treats the first level of parentheses as rows. Therefore y
is already a row vector. To make x a column vector, write it as
x = {{x1},{x2}}

Then y x = {{y1,x1},{y2,x2}} as expected.

Dr. Richard L. Bowman
Dept. of Physics e-mail: rbowman@bridgewater.edu
Bridgewater College phone: 540-828-5441
Bridgewater, VA 22812 FAX: 540-828-5479