Topic: Re:[mg4253] Help: Column/Row Vector
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Edward G. Neuman

Khinast wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have two vectors x=(x1,x2) and y = (y1,y1). How can I persuade Mathematica
>that e.g. x is a column vector and y is a row vector, which is kind of
>important for their multiplication .
>I've studied the help page for hours, with no result. So could
>someone please help me. My email address is:
>
>khinast@nld.chee.uh.edu
>

>Joh.

Denote by xc and yr the column and row versions of x and y, respectively.
You can execute the following lines:

x={x1,x2}; y={y1,y2};
xc=Partition[x,1]
{{x1}, {x2}}
yr=List[y]
{{y1, y2}}
Dimensions[xc]
{2, 1}
Dimensions[yr]
{1, 2}

to obtain the desired result.

Edward Neuman Phone: (618) 453-6501
Department of Mathematics Fax: (618) 453-5300
Southern Illinois University E-mail: edneuman@math.siu.edu
Carbondale, Ill. 62901-4408
WWW: http://www.science.siu.edu/mathematics/neuman/