Topic: "unary" neumber system
Replies: 35   Last Post: Feb 22, 2011 11:04 PM

Henry

Re: "unary" neumber system

On Feb 15, 6:10 am, James Dow Allen <gm...@jamesdowallen.nospam>
wrote:
> FWIW, I agree with Tim.  Those who insist "Stone-Age counting"
> (Glen Langdon's term) shouldn't be called "unary" are overly
> pedantic, IMO.
> Base-10 has 10 symbols, Base-2 has two; Base-1 has 1.  The only
> inconsistency is that you have to throw away zero instead of one
> when you reduce the alphabet to a singleton:  Otherwise you
> couldn't count past zero.  :-)

You can also have Base-n systems with the n symbols 1, 2, ... n but
not zero for larger values of n. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bijective_numeration

Date Subject Author
2/14/11
Read "unary" neumber system
Brian Christiansen
2/14/11
Read Re: "unary" neumber system
lwalke3@lausd.net
2/14/11
Read Re: "unary" neumber system
Tim Golden http://bandtech.com
2/15/11
Read Re: "unary" neumber system
James Dow Allen
2/15/11
Read Re: "unary" neumber system
Henry
2/15/11
Read Re: "unary" neumber system
David R Tribble
2/15/11
Read Re: "unary" neumber system
kunzmilan@atlas.cz
2/15/11
Read Re: "unary" neumber system
Brian Christiansen
2/15/11
Read Re: "unary" neumber system
James Waldby
2/15/11
Read Re: "unary" neumber system
Brian Q. Hutchings
2/15/11
Read Re: "unary" neumber system
Rock Brentwood
2/15/11
Read Re: "unary" neumber system - Roman Numerals for Integers
Rock Brentwood
2/15/11
Read Re: "unary" neumber system - Roman Numerals for Integers
Brian Q. Hutchings
2/16/11
Read Re: "unary" neumber system - Roman Numerals for Integers
jbriggs444@gmail.com
2/16/11
Read Re: "unary" neumber system - Roman Numerals for Integers
Brian Q. Hutchings
2/15/11
Read Re: "unary" neumber system
David Bernier