Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Dave Seaman

Re: Matching random numbers

In article <4uphfg$6b5@dragonfly.wolfram.com>,
A. Ortiz-Tapia <ao202@cus.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>Dear mathgroupers,
>
>I have written the following program:

[ Program deleted ]

>The purpose of this program is to produce two inpendent random numbers;
>match this two numbers by "converting" them to integers, then if they
>are equal print either of them (I choosed x), *and* increment the value
>of a variable, such that at the end I can have 5000 "matched" random
>numbers. The program, so far, gives out *only one number*.

If I understand you correctly, an easy way would be to evaluate

Table[match[],{k,5000}]

where match[] is a function defined to return a single "matched"
value. For example:

match[] :=
Module[{x=Random[],y=Random[]},
While[Round[100x] != Round[100y],
x = Random[];
y = Random[]
];
]

--
Dave Seaman dseaman@purdue.edu
++++ stop the execution of Mumia Abu-Jamal ++++