Topic: Re: [mg4694] Integer Partitioning
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Robert Pratt

Re: [mg4694] Integer Partitioning

Use the standard package Combinatorica.

In[1]:= Needs["DiscreteMath`Combinatorica`"]

In[2]:= ?Partitions
Partitions[n] constructs all partitions of integer n in reverse lexicographic
order.

In[2]:= Partitions[5]

Out[2]= {{5}, {4, 1}, {3, 2}, {3, 1, 1}, {2, 2, 1}, {2, 1, 1, 1},

> {1, 1, 1, 1, 1}}

In[3]:= ?PartitionsP
PartitionsP[n] gives the number p(n) of unrestricted partitions of the
integer n.

In[3]:= ?PartitionsQ
PartitionsQ[n] gives the number q(n) of partitions of the integer n into
distinct parts.

In[3]:= PartitionsP[5]

Out[3]= 7

PartitionsP[5] is the same as Length[Partitions[5]].

You specified that you want distinct partitions.

In[4]:= PartitionsQ[5]

Out[4]= 3

Use a pure function to select the distinct partitions from the complete list.

In[5]:= Select[Partitions[5],Length[#]==Length[Union[#]]&]

Out[5]= {{5}, {4, 1}, {3, 2}}

If you also don't want the integer itself (a trivial partition), use the
following command.

In[6]:= Select[Partitions[5],Length[#]==Length[Union[#]] && Length[#]>1 &]

Out[6]= {{4, 1}, {3, 2}}

If you're going to partition large integers, you may want to write your
own DistinctPartitions command. PartitionsQ climbs MUCH faster than
PartitionsP as n goes to infinity.

Rob Pratt
Department of Mathematics
CB# 3250, 331 Phillips Hall