Topic: Factor analysis rotation methods
Replies: 3   Last Post: Feb 22, 2011 12:53 PM

avi

Re: Factor analysis rotation methods

On 22 fév, 19:06, Art Kendall <A...@DrKendall.org> wrote:
> In SPSS you can do any form of rotation on FACTOR. Since this capability
> has been in SPSS since at least 1973, it is most like available in other
> packages.
> In what ever package you use you can factor analyze made up data and
> write the loadings.  That way you can see how to format the existing
>

> > FACTOR performs factor analysis based either on correlations or
> > covariances and using one of the seven extraction methods. FACTOR also
> > accepts matrix input in the form of correlation matrices, covariance
> > matrices, or factor-loading matrices and can write the matrix
> > materials to a matrix data file.
> > Matrix Input and Output. With the MATRIX subcommand, you can write a
> > correlation matrix, a covariance matrix, or a factor-loading matrix.
> > You can also read matrix materials written either by a previous FACTOR
> > procedure or by a procedure that writes correlation or covariance
> > matrices.

> What is your application that you would favor an oblique rotation?  Are
> you going to use the factor scores as a set in some other GLM procedure?
> SEM?
>
> Are you using factor analysis to see what items to assign to a scoring
> key in scale development? If so, what about divergent validity being
> lower because an item would be included in more than one summation?
>
> Art Kendall
> Social Research Consultants
>
> On 2/22/2011 11:31 AM, avi wrote:
>

> > Hello,
>
> > Is there some simple script or a detailed algorithm for creating an
> > oblique rotation or a QUARTIMAX from the unrotated loadings and
> > correlation matrix of the variables?

> > Thanks
> > Avi

Actually, I try to write an generic utility to be used by other users
for whatever purpose. The utility knows in its present state to
perform Varimax and I want to add other rotations possibilities. The
utility uses VB

Avi