Topic: Re: [mg4893] Re: Mathematica and PPP
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Lee Larson

Re: [mg4893] Re: Mathematica and PPP

Jason Krywicki, krywicki@bucknell.edu recently typed

>In article <52fcer$n12@dragonfly.wolfram.com>, chenrich@monmouth.com
>(Christopher J. Henrich) wrote:
>

>>I have a very silly problem with Mathematica on my Mac. When its time
>>for the kernel to start, it insists on dialing out on my modem. The only
>>way to prevent this is to restart with the Mac PPP extension disabled.
>>Half-measures usually lock up the system.

>Hi Christopher. The "problem" you are discribing is actually Mma checking
>the network to make sure that two kernels aren't running with the same
>password. Versions up to 2.2.1 do this. The latest version 2.2.2 only
>checks the network if you are connected. The only way to get around this is
>to:
>
> 1.) Take out MacTCP
> 2.) Upgrade to 2.2.2

There is a better solution. Upgrade to a newer version of PPP on your
Mac. For example, FreePPP 2.5v2, which I use, has a check box to disallow
programs from opening the PPP connection. You can get it from
<ftp://ftp.louisville.edu/pub/math/Larson/macstuff/>.

Lee Larson <> http://www.louisville.edu/~lmlars01 <> (502)339-8758
Mathematics Department, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40292 USA