Topic: Re: [mg5012] [Q] How to read (and analyze) .WAV files?
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Mark Evans

Re: [mg5012] [Q] How to read (and analyze) .WAV files?

Hi Carlos -

I have the same problem. The closest thing to a solution is the package
Miscellaneous`Audio` which has a routine called ReadSoundfile[]. this
routine can handle WAV files. As I just said in a recent post to this
newsgroup, this package has a bug. It will not read 16-bit WAV files, so
you must convert to 8-bit format or fix the bug yourself. I have not made
the attempt yet. It also has the fundamental flaw of being terribly slow.
You'll wait about a minute or two to load in a ten-second sound file.

I was going to try the FastBinaryFiles package by Todd Gayley, but I've had
some problems getting it going under Mathematica 3.0

Mathematica 3.0 has a sound input/output utility that reads, writes, and
modifies WAV files, BUT DOES NOT DO THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP OF ALL, which is
to get the data into Mathematica as a list of numbers! How frustrating!

If there is a way to get the data out of this utility and into the kernel, I
hope someone will tell me about it. I've not been using 3.0 very long so
there may be something I missed. I did try a lot of variations of
copy/paste. The sound utility would only paste the sound as an embedded
object.

Mark Evans
evans@gte.net