Topic: math notation for element-wise square root of vectors and matrices?
Replies: 6   Last Post: Mar 15, 2011 3:04 PM

Lee Rudolph

Re: math notation for element-wise square root of vectors and matrices?

ImageAnalyst <imageanalyst@mailinator.com> writes:

>On Mar 14, 10:16?pm, "Felipe G. Nievinski" <fgnievin...@gmail.com>
>wrote:

>> Please let me know if you are you aware of any established practice. I
>> don't want to end up having to type ".^(1/2)" in latex, even though
>> that's exactly what my matlab code looks like.
>> Thanks,
>> -F.

>Is this a question about latex?
>
>Well, anyway, your MATLAB code doesn't have to look like that. It can
>look like this if you want:
>sqrtOfMyMatrix = sqrt(myMatrix);

It's not a question about LaTeX, but it can be answered with
LaTeX.

The answer to the question literally asked is, no, I'm not
aware of any established practice (and I doubt there is one,
at least for large values of "established"). Even if there
is (unless, when restricted to the editors, referees, and
likely readers of the paper being written, there *is* indeed
a very well established practice, which however has not made
itself known to me), the original poster ought seriously to
consider creating--and clearly describing in the text, before
its first use--an explicit nonce notation for the desired
concept: for instance, enclosing the (notation for) the
vector or matrix in large parentheses prefaced by the letters
"sqrt". That notation (and others achieving the same goal)
could easily be implemented in LaTeX without having to type
more than the definition of the appropriate macro, and one
instance of the macro per use of the notation.

Lee Rudolph