In article <firstname.lastname@example.org> michael a. morrison, email@example.com writes: >From: michael a. morrison, firstname.lastname@example.org >Date: 18 Feb 1997 22:04:39 -0500 >>I have been having a great deal of trouble with plot and axes labels >in Version 3 for Win95. mathematica sometimes ignores some characters >in these labels (especially things like parentheses and Greek >symbols), at other times it spaces words in labels in strange ways, at >other times it seems to work fine (with the same file). I have tried >several styles and lots of different fonts and cannot find a single >one that works correctly consistently. > >Have any others come across this problem? Does anyone know ANY way >around it? I have tried this on three diferent systems, so I don't >think it's MY installation of Math 3.0. Help!......and >thanks. > >michael >
I have a similar problem in Mma 3.0 for PowerPC. Folks from WRI are aware of this problem, and here is what they recommended me:
>(1) The first thing to try is to make sure you have an uncorrupted >version of the latest fonts on your system. Try deleting the fonts >suitcase > > System Folder:Fonts:MathFonts > >and replacing them with a copy of MathFonts from the CD. > > Mathematica 3.0 Files:SystemFiles:Fonts:Macintosh:MathFonts > >(2) If your Mac and printer are on a network, it's possible that >the printer has stored (in it's memory) an older or corrupted copy of >the fonts. You should use the "Apple LaserWriter Utility" or "Apple >Printer Utility" to manually a download the fonts in MathFonts suitcase >to your printer.
Indeed, when I upload MathFonts to the printer, everything works fine. It is not convenient when your printer is on a network, however, it solves the problem.