Topic: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
Replies: 106   Last Post: Jul 20, 2011 10:00 AM

lwalke3@lausd.net

Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness

On May 10, 3:43 pm, FredJeffries <fredjeffr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 10, 12:13 pm, Transfer Principle <lwal...@lausd.net> wrote:
> > So this leaves me wondering -- can there be a "meaning_ful_" math,
> > one that avoids the undesirable classical result?

> Your namby-pamby babying of people who are too lazy to learn some
> actual math

Just because something isn't classical math, it doesn't mean that
it can't be "actual math."

> is an insult to every school-child, every student in
> history who has struggled in math class.

In most math classes (at least up to undergrad level), one mainly
learns about classical math. That doesn't mean that there isn't a
nonclassical math distinct from what one learns in class.

> Grow up. Life is full of undesirable results. An earthquake leaves
> thousands homeless is an undesirable result.

But in math, one can make an undesirable result go away simply by
rejecting the axiom that implies it. For example, one can avoid
Banach-Tarski by rejecting the Axiom of Choice. On the other hand,
one can't wish away an earthquake simply by assuming as an axiom
that the earthquake never happened.

I do believe that no mathematical theory can completely avoid _all_
undesirable results, but some results are less desirable than others,
and it's up to each individual to decide for himself which axioms he
(she) wishes to adopt.

> That one real number may have two different decimal representations is
> not an undesirable results.

It isn't to you, but apparently it is to byron.

Date Subject Author
4/5/11
Read five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
byron
4/5/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
Porky Pig Jr
4/25/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
byron
5/21/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
byron
4/6/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
Jacob
4/6/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
Tim Little
4/6/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
Marshall
4/6/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
Jacob
4/9/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
byron
4/11/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
byron
4/11/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
Jacob
4/14/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
byron
4/16/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
byron
4/29/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
byron
5/4/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
byron
5/4/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
YBM
5/4/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
Jack Markan
5/4/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
byron
5/4/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
YBM
5/4/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
Jack Markan
5/4/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
Bill
5/4/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
byron
5/4/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
byron
5/5/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
YBM
5/5/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
byron
5/5/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
YBM
5/5/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
byron
5/9/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
byron
5/9/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
YBM
5/9/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
byron
5/9/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
tommyrjensen@gmail.com
5/9/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
byron
5/9/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
YBM
5/9/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
byron
5/9/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
YBM
5/9/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
lwalke3@lausd.net
5/9/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
Marshall
5/9/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
Jim Burns
5/10/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
Virgil
5/10/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
lwalke3@lausd.net
5/10/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
lwalke3@lausd.net
5/10/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
Jim Burns
5/10/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
lwalke3@lausd.net
5/10/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
FredJeffries@gmail.com
5/11/11
[...]
MoeBlee
5/11/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
Jim Burns
5/13/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
lwalke3@lausd.net
5/13/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
MoeBlee
5/14/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
Jim Burns
6/2/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
byron
6/3/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
byron
6/1/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
byron
6/2/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
byron
6/6/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
byron
6/6/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
YBM
5/10/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
FredJeffries@gmail.com
5/10/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
Michael Stemper
5/10/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
MoeBlee
5/10/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
Daryl McCullough
5/10/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
Rotwang
5/10/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
Jesse F. Hughes
5/10/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
Marshall
5/6/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
byron
5/18/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
byron
5/19/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
dan.ms.chaos@gmail.com
5/6/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
byron
5/6/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
Karthik
5/6/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
YBM
5/7/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
byron
5/7/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
Jim Ferry
5/7/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
David Yen
5/7/11
[...]
5/22/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
byron
5/29/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
byron
5/30/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
byron
5/30/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
YBM
6/4/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
byron
6/5/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
YBM
7/19/11
Read Re: five reasons why mathematics ends in meaninglessness
byron
7/20/11